Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thankful / Turkey Day recap

So it's a few days after Thanksgiving that I'm writing this, but it's never to late to recognize what you're thankful for. My turkey day ended up being a really good day. About 30-40 of my family members and I were all gathered together at the church we all grew up in. Ok I'll be honest I haven't been to church in years! But that's besides the point. It was nice because we all haven't been together in the same place in a long time. I think one of the big reasons for that is because my grandmother (on my dads side) has Alzheimer's and has been in a nursing home for the past few years. She was the matriarch of the family since my grandpa passed when I was 6, so when she got sick, the family kind of fell apart. If you're thinking of the movie "Soul Food," it's a very similar situation. Speaking of my grandmother... my uncle and one of my cousins were able to take her from the nursing home for a few hours and bring her to the church. Though she had no clue who any of us were, it was nice to have her there. It was sad to see her that way, because just a few years ago she was perfectly fine. Aside from her Alzheimer's, she is in pretty good health for being in her 80's... but lets be honest, I think I'd rather her have a few other things wrong with her just in exchange for her to have her memory. But truly I was so thankful that she is still here and was able to join us for the holiday. I'm also so thankful that my family members and I all did manage to get together last Thursday. You know it can be tough tryin' to get a bunch of minorities together LOL. It was nice considering I have no idea when we'll all have another opportunity to be together again. I love all of my family to pieces, and I'm thankful to have each and every one of them.

I hope everyone and anyone reading this had a great holiday!

o.X.o.X.

No comments: